About Me

My photo
Falmouth, United Kingdom
I am lucky enough to live in beautiful Cornwall and enjoy nothing more than walking on my local beach at Swanpool searching for sea glass. I am inspired by all the natural things I see around me,my favourite colours are the blues and greens of the ever changing sea.

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Craft Fairs

When I started selling at craft fairs they were quite successful and profitable for me but over a number of years they have become less and less viable barely covering my costs at many of them.
So what has changed?
1. More people are taking up crafts which means more competition this I don't mind it's a level playing field. I am happy that the quality of my work and materials used will stand out from the crowd.

2. Big name shops have cottoned on to the trend for handmade and are filling the High St with supposedly handmade but probably imported from the other side of the world goods which are cheaper than I can produce.

3. There are many more craft fairs than there were selling a variety of goods and sadly many also include sellers of cheap imported goods of lesser quality that someone,somewhere may or may not have handmade certainly not the seller but undercutting and totally devaluing the work of genuine crafters and artisans.

In spite of all this I do still enjoy craft fairs meeting people face to face and chatting to them about my work. There are still some great Craft Fairs featuring only genuine handmade items to be found.
One such fair is starting again in the Church Hall St.Agnes Cornwall Friday 3rd July 10am to 4pm. No craft is duplicated and everything has been made in Cornwall by the stallholder. I am happy to say that I will be there selling my lovely range of hand crocheted and hand knitted things all lovingly made by me.
So why not come along and say hi. We'll all be pleased to welcome you.

No comments:

Post a Comment